Ynyspenllwch in the Parish of Llangyfelach
"Ynyspenllwch estate papers 1801-1996 - The Ynyspenllwch Estate was a compact estate situated in the parish of Llangyfelach, Glamorgan, bounded by the River Clydach to the west and the Tawe to the south, with Gellionen Mountain and Craig Trebanos at the north and east. Trebanos and much of the present town of Clydach are built on the estate lands." See also below under Land and Property [Archives Network Wales]
"CLYDACH, or Rhyndwyclydach, is a parish and village, .... Ynys penllwch, which is used as a home for Catholic children, is an elegant mansion, standing in its own grounds, surrounded by trees and bounded on one side by the river Tawe ; from the house and grounds can be seen the hills for a long distance on either side of the valley. ..." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
References to Ynyspenllwch at
- The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ynyspenllwch in the Parish of Llangyfelach to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ynyspenllwch in the Parish of Llangyfelach has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
1801-1973: deeds and estate papers
[Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Ynyspenllwch estate papers 1801-1996 "The Ynyspenllwch Estate was a compact estate situated in the parish of Llangyfelach, Glamorgan, bounded by the River Clydach to the west and the Tawe to the south, with Gellionen Mountain and Craig Trebanos at the north and east. Trebanos and much of the present town of Clydach are built on the estate lands. The Ynyspenllwch estate was originally a part of the Gnoll Estate, the property of the Mackworth family. The Miers family moved to Wales in the 18th century, settling at Vernon House in the 1760s, and later acquiring the Cadoxton Lodge Estate. The executors of the will of John Miers the younger bought the Ynyspenllwch estate from the widow of Sir Robert Mackworth of Gnoll, Molly Ann Mackworth, formerly Miers............................................"
- Ynyspenllwch estate papers 1780-1875 "The Miers' family moved into the Glamorgan area first to Neath c. 1736 and then leased Vernon House in c. 1760. The first John Miers is cited as being of Cannon Street, London, Mitcham, Surrey, and of New Barnstable Hall. They settled at Cadoxton Lodge, Glamorgan, with his son Nathaniel inheriting the estate following the death of John Miers. His early death resulted in the estate passing via his brother John to Nathaniel's son John Nathaniel. The Miers' estate centred mainly in Ynyspenllwch and occupied a compact area situated in the parish of Llangyfelach, Glamorgan. The Ynyspenllwch estate originally formed part of the Gnoll estate, Neath, Glamorgan, before passing into the hands of the Miers family. Molly Ann (daughter of John Nathaniel Miers or Nathaniel Miers) married Robert Humphrey Mackworth of Gnoll and inherited the estate on his death. Shortly after, the estate was purchased by the executors of John Miers the younger [c.1799-1800]. The connections with the Gnoll estate continued, however, with the brothers Richard H. Miers of Ynyspenllwch and Capel Miers of Drumma both acting as Gnoll estate agents"
- Miers Estate, records 1735-1882
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN695013 (Lat/Lon: 51.695234, -3.889559), Ynyspenllwch in the Parish of Llangyfelach which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)