Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Penrhiwceibr in the Parish of Llanwonno

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Penrhiwceibr in the Parish of Llanwonno

Primary tabs

"PENRHIWCEIBER is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1897; it is 1½ miles south-east from Mountain Ash, and has two stations on the Great Western railway. St. Winefred's church, erected in 1883, at a cost of £1900 is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, ... the pulpit is of Bath stone: the church was enlarged in 1888, at a cost of £700, and affords 410 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £317, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ... There is a church hall, erected 1910, at a cost of £1,412, used for Sunday school, social gatherings &c. The ground floor is used as a young men's club. The Workmen's Institute and Public Hall was built in 1888, at a cost of £2000, and consists of reading and billiard rooms, and a library of over 1000 volumes. A small hall, a branch of the Nixon's Workmen's Institute, was erected in 1907, and contains a reading room and hall. There is also a large hall capable of seating 600 persons, which is let for public meetings &c. and is supported by deductions from the wages of the workmen of Nixon's colliery; additions were in 1900 carried out at a cost of nearly £1000. The population in 1911 was 9,723" [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]


Archives and Libraries

Rheola Street
Mountain Ash
CF45 3TA



An online index to the book Mountain Ash and Penrhiwceiber Remembered in Pictures by Bernard Baldwin [1986] has been provided by Jill Smith


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Parish formed from Mountain Ash in 1897.

The church is dedicated to St. Winifred, is in the Benefice of Penrhiwceiber with Matthewstown and Ynysyboeth, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST058977.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1883-1979 1884-1986 1904-1945,
1976-1985 (deaths)
1884-1897, 1904-1939 -

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Penrhiwceiber Ecclesiastical Parish records "........ including registers of baptisms, 1883-1979; marriages, 1884-1986; burials, 1904-1985; banns, 1884-1985; services, 1883-1981; licences, 1918; records relating to: Churchwardens, 1884-1970; property, 1900-1964; church affairs, 1919-1969; church organisations, 1916-1938; civil and miscelaaneous"
  • Matthewstown (and Ynysboeth) Ecclesiastical Parish records "The church of All saints, Tyntetown in the parish of Penrhiwceiber was opened in 1903, and a separate parish of Tyntetown and Ynysboeth was created in 1923. From approximately 1968 the parish was grouped with Penrhiwceiber and its name changed to Matthewstown and Ynysboeth"
    "......... including registers of baptisms, 1903-1948; marriages, 1923-1971; banns, 1949-1976; services, 1930-1971; licences, 1903-1953; property, 1914; churchwardens records, 1901-1966"

Non Conformist Registers Deposited
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref Deposited
Bethesda, Baptist - 1966-1969 - ST 05959766 GRO
Penuel, Calvinistic Methodist 1922-1988 - - ST 05659785 NLW
Bethel, Wesleyan 1857-1933 - - ST 05939762 NLW
Bethel, Wesleyan 1966-1968 - - ST 05939762 WGRO

GRO - Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
NLW - National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
WGRO - West Glamorgan Record Office, Swansea


Description and Travel

Penrhiwceiber - on the Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries Heritage Trail site

You can see pictures of Penrhiwceibr in the Parish of Llanwonno which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Penrhiwceibr in the Parish of Llanwonno to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Penrhiwceibr in the Parish of Llanwonno has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Election ballot for a checkweigher, Penrhiwceibr Colliery, 1914 - on the People's Collection Wales site

Cwmcynon Colliery, Penrhiwceiber on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Penrhiwceiber Colliery on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Penrhiwceiber Workmen's Institute "Minute book, together with related papers 1888-1900"