Star (Soar) Welsh Baptist Chapel, Star, Clydey
Star (Soar) Welsh Baptist Chapel,
- The inscription on the chapel wall states "Star - Capel y Bedyddwyr - Adeiladwyd 1879"
- There is an entry styled "STAR WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL;SOAR" built in 1879-81 on the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) website (Coflein) where there is a photograph, plus one showing the baptism tank
- See also entry on Dyfed FHS where it is called Soar, Star, Baptist 1829
- The Religious Census of 1851 has the entry "Soar Baptist Erected in 1830"
- On the face of it a Soar Baptist chapel existed prior to the current building, the small building at the end of the graveyard that can be seen on streetview looks part of the overall property but doesn't look particularly like a chapel building. Another possibility is that Soar was demolished and Star built in its place with perhaps a lapse of time in between which didn't qualify it as a "rebuild". An inspection of the headstone dates might shed light on the age of the graveyard itself.
- Archives Hub has this entry under Nonconformist records "Soar/Star Baptist Chapel, Clydey, 1829-1981" which certainly ties the 'two chapels ' together
- This newspaper extract doesn't seem to help
South Wales Daily News 16th May 1881 STAR, LLANFYRNACH. NEW CHAPEL.—The opening services in connection with the new Baptist Chapel at this place were held on Wednesdav and Thursday. The following gentlemen officiated : The Revs. W. Morris, Treorky D. Roberts, Llwynhendy G. H. Griffiths, Newcastle Emlyn, E. Lewis, Llandyssul, and O. W. James, Aberayron. Mr D. Davies, Glebeland, Merthyr, who is a native of this part, has given £50 towards the debt.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)