"HASGUARD, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (N.W. by W.) from Milford, containing 106 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated in the western part of the county, and nearly in the centre of the peninsula which separates Milford haven from St. Bride's bay. The lands are all enclosed and cultivated, and the soil is generally productive; but the surrounding scenery, though pleasingly varied, is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature. The views from the higher grounds embrace some fine prospects over the adjacent country, having in the distance St. Bride's bay on the north, and Milford haven on the south. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £18. 6. 6., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £100.12." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104235
- 1871 Census - 0850855
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099644
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Hasguard with St Ishmael's from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR C (1764-1812) M (1756-1812) B (1792-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost. M (1813-37) not recorded in 1933
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1968), Marriages (1837-1957), Burials 1814-1969) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-3, 1805-13, 1816-20, 1823-40, 1842, 1854-6, 1868-70, 1876-8) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105142.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Nonconformist Chapels: None found but see St Florence parish
The transcription of the section for Hasguard from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hasguard to another place.
Chatfield, Christine. "Dear Sarah"- Letters from Home. Dyfed FHs journal Vol 7/4 April 2001. Centres on Sarah Harris born in Talbenny in 1842 but the story is mainly in Hasguard parish.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hasguard has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM848100 (Lat/Lon: 51.747198, -5.118942), Hasguard which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Hasguard parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Hasguard (100); Bushford, Hasguard, Little Hasguard, The Cotts, The Glebe, Winsle.