Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LAMPETER VELFREY - from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LAMPETER VELFREY - from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)

LAMPETER-VELVREY (LLAN-BEDR-VELVRE), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E.) from Narberth, containing 984 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the rich and fertile vale of Lampeter, and on the south side of the river Marlais, extends for nearly six miles from east to west, and about three miles from north to south. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied and the parish, which is of considerable antiquity, contains several objects of interest to the antiquary. Limestone is found here in abundance, and is quarried for building purposes, and also burnt into lime as a manure for the supply of the surrounding country. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient structure, consisting of two aisles separated by plain pointed arches. In the north aisle is an altar-tomb to a member of the family of Philipps, of Lampeter House, which seat is now the property and residence of Captain Twyning. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. A parochial school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is supported by subscription. John Jones, M.D., in 1698, bequeathed certain lands and tenements for the relief of poor families, and for apprenticing poor children of the parishes of Lawrenny, Cosheston, St.David's, and Lampeter-Velvrey, now producing a considerable sum annually, which is distributed in proportion to the number of deserving objects in the different parishes. A posting inn at the entrance of the county from Carmarthen, distinguished by the name Tavern spite, occupies the site of tile ancient "Taverne y spitty," an hospitium formerly belonging to Whitland abbey, upon the bank of the river Tâf; and Blaengwyddnoe, now a farm-house, was the grange of that religious establishment. To the south-west of the latter place are some very extensive earthworks, called Castel Meherin, on the summit of a high ridge commanding a full view of the sea, and forming one of a chain of forts continued in a north-westerly direction along this part of the coast; and in a field adjoining the turnpike road, a little to the north-east, are two semicircular embankments, commanding the passage of three several valleys. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £331.3.


Gareth Hicks, 28 Dec 1999