Hide

Llantood

hide
Hide

"LLANTYD (LLAN-ILLTYD), a parish in the hundred of KÎLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (S.W. by S.) from Cardigan, containing 281 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Illtyd, an eminent teacher of Christianity, who died about the close of the fifth century. It is pleasantly situated in the north-eastern part of the county, near the separation of the two great roads leading respectively from Cardigan to Fishguard and Haverfordwest, and comprises a large tract of arable and pasture land, of which the whole is enclosed. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, is generally pleasing and the views over the adjacent country are agreeably diversified. The living is a vicarage not in charge, annexed, with that of Monington, or Eglwys Wythwr, to the vicarage of St. Dogmael's, in the arch-deaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £200 royal bounty. The church is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. John Jones, in 1729, bequeathed a small sum of money towards the relief of poor persons of this parish not receiving parochial aid, the interest of which is annually distributed according to the will of the testator. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £77. 18." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.

topup

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464344
  • 1851 Census - 0104239
  • 1861 Census - 0543246
  • 1871 Census - 0850859
  • 1881 Census - 1342307
  • 1891 Census - 6099654
topup

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llantood Parish Church Rebuilt about 1821 William Thomas, Informant

Parish entry for St Dogmael's with Llantwyd and Monington from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Thomas& St Illtyd (Llantwd) & St Nicholas (Monington)
  • Incumbent and Curates; J G Hughes (L J Edwards)
  • Rural Deanery of Kemes
  • Acreage 6,285 & 1,843 & 1,028; Population 2,248
    topup

    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1768-93, 1813-1991), Marriages (1813-1968) Banns (1824-6, 1830), Burials (1769-77, 1783-5, 1813-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

    Copy ts BT M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-81, 1684-7, 1700, 1703, 1705, 1799-1800, 1802-40, 1842, 1844-7, 1849-60, 1865-8, 1870-5, 1896-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105183.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Glanrhyd CM chapel, Llantwyd SN14244225 Built c1807 (1851 R. Census), rebuilt 1870; Still open 2000 Coflein     On Dyfed FHS
    topup

    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Llantood which are provided by:

    topup

    Gazetteers

    The transcription of the section for Llantood from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    topup

    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Llantood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    topup

    Maps

    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN157418 (Lat/Lon: 52.043881, -4.689317), Llantood which are provided by:

    topup

    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llantood parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)

    • Llantood [6]; Castell felor-ganol, Castell Pen-yr-allt, Croes-y-forwyn, Crossway, Felin-ganol, Glan-rhyd, Llantood, Pant-y-grwndy, Pen gaer, Tre-cwn, Tre-defaid