The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NEVERN, (or Nefern), a parish in the hundred of Kemess, county Pembroke, 8 miles from Cardigan, its post town, and 2 from Newport. It is the largest parish in the county, and includes the quarters of Crugian, Kilgwyn, Morva, and Trewern. The village, which is considerable, is situated in a rich vale on the banks of a stream of the same name, which rises under the mountain Vrenny Vawr, and is crossed by a bridge at Pont Baldwyn, where tradition relates that Archbishop Baldwyn, accompanied by Giraldus, first preached the Crusades. On an eminence above the village appear the slight remains of Llanhyfer Castle, formerly a square building with a bastion at each angle. It is said to have been the principal palace of the reguli of Dyfed, and was the seat of Martin de Tours before he married the daughter of Rhysap-Grufydd. On one side it was naturally inaccessible, the wall following the edge of a rocky ravine; on the others it was rendered so by a deep foss hewn out of the solid rock. There are also remains of an old mansion of Henry VII.'s time, inhabited by Sir James ap Owain, besides others of a later date, now converted into farmhouses, viz: Cwm Gloyn, Trellyfant, Wern, and Pentref Ifan. Nevern was originally a chief borough, with a portreeve and "burbages," who held courts for its government. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Kilgwyn annexed, in the diocese of St. David's, value £240, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Brynach, is a Norman structure, with a tower. The inside of the church is not paved, and frequent interments have elevated the floor above 7 feet. It contains a coffin lid, with an early Greek cross. In the extensive churchyard, which is planted with yew trees, is a cross of the 9th century, consisting of a tall shaft, like that standing in front of Carew Castle, but more elegantly wrought. It is a single stone, 2 feet broad, 13 inches thick, and 13 feet high, circular at the top, and carved upon all sides with knot work. The charities produce £22 per annum. This neighbourhood abounds with Druidic antiquities, including the gigantic cromlech of Pentre-evan, only equalled in Wales by that of St. Nicholas, near Cardiff. This cromlech, or Druidical temple, is encircled by rude stones 150 feet in circumference, and so high that six persons on horseback can be conveniently sheltered under it. At Lechy-Dribedd, on the sea-coast between Nevern and Cardigan, is another cromlech having a furrow in the incumbent stone.
"CILGWYN CHAPEL, a hamlet in the parish of Nevern, county of Pembroke, 3 miles S.E. of Newport."
"CREGIE, a quarter in the parish of Nevern, in the county of Pembroke 2 miles N.E. of Newport."
"KILGWYN, a township and chapelry in the parish of Nevern, county Pembroke, 2 miles N.E. of Newport. It is situated near the small river Nevern, which rises in the Vrenny Vawr hills, and falls into the sea at Newport."
"MORVA, a quarter in the parish of Nevern, county Pembroke, 2 miles E. by N. of Newport."
"TREWERN, a quarter in the parish of Nevern, county Pembroke, 2 miles N.E. of Newport."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018