St Edrins / St Edren's / St Edeyrn's


"EDREN'S, ST. (ST. EDEYRN'S), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 10 miles (N.N.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 113 inhabitants. This parish, which is of very small extent, is for the most part enclosed and cultivated. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Precentor and Upper Chapter in the Cathedral Church of St. David's. The grass in the churchyard is asserted by many residents in the vicinity to be a specific for preserving both men and cattle from the effects of the bite of a mad dog: by the former it is eaten with bread and butter, and the latter are turned in to graze upon it; and in those which in that condition have eaten it no symptoms of madness have afterwards appeared, while, on the contrary, such as would not have uniformly died in a short time: the grass is the perquisite of the parish clerk, and in the wall of the chancel is a cavity, into which is put whatever persons choose to pay for eating it. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £24." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464342
  • 1851 Census - 0104237
  • 1861 Census - 0543245
  • 1871 Census - 0850858
  • 1881 Census - 1342306
  • 1891 Census - 6099649

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • St Edren's Parish Church William Meyler, Perpetual Curate, St Lawrence, Haverfordwest
  • Blaenllyn Baptist Erected in 1843 T E Thomas, Minister, Trehales, St Edrins, Trevine

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Edren's --- see Mathry, Deanery of Fishguard

    Church Records

    Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1770

    Parish registers: Christenings (1791-1959), Marriages (1800-09, 1813-25, 1834-1932) Banns (1809-18), Burials (1788-1887) at Pem.RO

    Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1785-1829) B (1789-1886) at NLW

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1813, 1815-45) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105206.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Blaenllyn, in Trehael [Baptists, 1842]. records ; See Llangloffan SM87772933 Built 1843, restored 1879, enlarged 1906 Still open 1998 Coflein      On Dyfed FHS

    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of St Edrins / St Edren's / St Edeyrn's which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for St Edrins from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.


    Land & Property

    Held at the NLW ;

    • Deeds and documents [deposited by T H Thomas of Lochturffin] relating to property of the John and Thomas families of Trehale, parish of St Edrins, co Pembroke, 1618-1912.


    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM893287 (Lat/Lon: 51.916929, -5.065599), St Edrins / St Edren's / St Edeyrn's which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within St Edrins parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)