"TWINNEL'S (ST.), a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.S.W.) from Pembroke, containing 274 inhabitants. This parish, the village of which is pleasantly situated on an eminence in the southern part of the county, comprises a considerable portion of enclosed and cultivated land, and a small tract of open downs, affording good pasturage for sheep and young cattle. Limestone is found in it, and some quarries have been opened, in the working of which a portion of the inhabitants are employed. The village is neatly built and of prepossessing appearance. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 17. 11. and in the patronage of the Subchanter and Minor Chapter of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Deiniol, is an ancient building, with a very lofty tower, and, from its elevated situation, is an interesting and conspicuous object from all parts of the surrounding country. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. Poor children of this parish are eligible for gratuitous instruction in the schools founded by Lady Cawdor, in the adjoining parishes of Warren and Stackpool Elidur. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £133. 2." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104234
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850854
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099641
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Warren with St Twinnell from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CB (1791-1812) M (1754-71) recorded in 1831 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1729-91, 1813-1922), Marriages (1729-53, 1774-1835, 1837-1968), Burials (1729-91, 1814-1991) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR CMB (1729-1991) arranged alphabetically at NLW and Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-71, 1874-8, 1882, 1889-90, 1899) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105208.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The transcription of the section for St Twynnells from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Twynnells to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Twynnells has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SR950962 (Lat/Lon: 51.626779, -4.962945), St Twynnells which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Twynnells parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by John Richards)
- St Twynnells (158); Bullslaughter Bay, Carew Farm, Hayston, Loveston, Southrow, Thorne, Trenorgan, Valasthill, Venn