"YERBESTON, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.W.) from Narberth, containing 155 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the turnpike road leading from Pembroke to Narberth, comprises but a small extent of land, which is all enclosed and cultivated. Culm is found in some parts of it, but is worked only for home consumption, and the supply of the immediate neighbourhood. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5. 3. 9., endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Baron de Rutzen. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported at the sole expense of the present incumbent. The average annual expenditure for the relief of the poor is £36. 13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104232
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342302
- 1891 Census - 6099636
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Loveston with Yerbeston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR none before 1813 to be found in 1831, and CB (1791-1812) recorded in 1933 as being in poor condition now apparently lost. Diocesan records suggest that in 1814 there were extant PR C (1786-1812) M (1778-1811) B (1787-1812)
Parish registers : Christenings (1813-1976), Marriages (1813-1968), Burials ( 1813-1976) at Pem.RO
Copy ts BT (1801-35) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1831, 1833-5, 1840, 1843-7, 1849, 1851-73, 1875-8, 1880-6, 1888-91, 1893-5, 1898-1902, 1904-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105216.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
The transcription of the section for Yerbeston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Yerbeston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Yerbeston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN059090 (Lat/Lon: 51.74579, -4.813299), Yerbeston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Yerbeston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Yerbeston (131); Campshill, Thorn, Waddock Lake, Yerbeston.