[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WESTONING, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Beds, 4 miles south of Ampthill, and 8 from Dunstable. The village is situated on the river Ivel. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £200. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. The local charities produce about £28 per annum, including some poors' cottages. There is a Sunday-school partially endowed. The Rev. J. W. Coventry Campion is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"WOOD END, a hamlet in the parish of Westoning, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ miles south west of Westoning."
The church of St. Mary Magdalene is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch, and an embattled tower containing 5 bells, retuned and rehung 111 1893: it was beautifully restored in the year 1857, at a cost of about £2,000 : an organ has been presented by Major and Mrs. C. Campion, and a stained window as a memorial to the late lord of the manor and his wife. The register dates from the year 1560. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Here are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
In the village is a clock tower given to the parish in 1897 by Major and Mrs. C. Campion in commemoration of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee (1897). The Manor House, the residence of Major John Gadsby Coventry-Campion J.P. is a mansion in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1843, when the old Manor House was pulled down, and stands in grounds of about 100 acres. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]