"EAST STONEHOUSE, commonly called Stonehouse, is a populous township and parish, forming the centre of the "three towns," lying between Devonport and Plymouth, and separated from the former by Sutton Pool and Stonehouse Creek and Lake; and from the latter by Mill Bay, and a boundary line running behind the Gas Works, across the middle of Union street, and up Twickenham place, Manor street, and Eldad road, to Mill pool, - a little east of Mill Bridge, opposite Stoke. . . . It was anciently called Hepeston or Hippeston, and in the reign of Henry III. had but one house, which was the seat of Joel de Stonehouse, then lord of the manor. Before this time, it obtained the name of East Stonehouse, in contradistinction to the hamlet of West Stonehouse, which stood on the opposite shore of the harbour, near Cremill, and Mount Edgcumbe, until burnt by the French, some centuries ago. . . . Its number of inhabitants amounted in 1801, to 3407 . . . East Stonehouse was formerly a chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew's, Plymouth, but was constituted a separate parish by act of Parliament. ST. GEORGE'S, the parish church, was built by subscription in 1789, on the site of the ancient chapel. It is a plain stone fabric, with a disproportioned tower, but the interior is neatly fitted up, and has about 700 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £197 per annum, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Andrew's, Plymouth, and incumbency of the Rev W.H. Nantes, B.A. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and Diocese of the Exeter.