Central Wingland (Central Wingfield)
Note: Central Wingland is not an ancient parish of Lincolnshire. It was formed between 1848 and 1872.
- The parish was in the Long Sutton sub-district of the Holbeach Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2327
||R.G. 10 / 3327 & 3329
||R.G. 11 / 3209
- There was no Anglican Church here.
- The parish was part of the Long Sutton sub-district of the Holbeach Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration starting in July 1837.
Central Wingland is (was) a civil parish in Lincolnshire (and partly in Norfolk) formed around the mouth of the River Nene, about nine miles north of Wisbeach. The parish lies along the eastern bank of the River Nene and covered about 3,200 acres in 1872. The civil parish was in the ecclesiastical parish of Sutton Bridge.
If you are planning a visit:
- The A17 trunk road runs just south of the parish.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- The parish area was gained from the sea since 1831, when the first enclosure was made, by channeling the Nene outfall. Two subsequent enclosures in 1848 and 1869 secured additional land from the tidal area.
- The Lincolnshire portion of the civil parish apparently was reintegrated with Sutton Bridge parish by 1900. The rest amalgamated with Terrington St. Clement's parish in Norfolk. Kelly's Norfolk directory for 1904 states that "Central Wingland formerly partly in Norfolk, is now wholly in Lincolnshire and particulars will be found in Kelly's Directory of that county", but Kelly's 1900 Directory of Lincolnshire does not mention the parish.
- In White's 1872 Directory, the chief landowners were the Crown, the Duke of Bedford, Mrs. GIBBONS, R. P. MOSSOP, Colonel LONG and D. COY.
- In White's 1882 Directory, the chief landowners were the Crown, Mrs. GIBBONS, R. P. MOSSOP, Colonel LONG and D. COY.
- The national grid reference is TF 5221.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer #249 map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
In 1927 the RAF opened a summer practice military camp here.
- Tycho WING was the Duke of Bedford's agent at Thorney, a surveyor and London instrument maker along with Thomas HEATH). Tycho surveyed the Nene River outfall and surrounding marshes. The Nene River mouth is called Tycho Wing's Channel, and the area on the east side of the river is Wingland, or Wingfield. Pam Downes advises that there were two Tycho Wings. One, an astologer, died in 1760, but a second was alive in the 1841 census in Thorney.
- White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: COLE, COY, ELMER, FAULKNER, MALLETT, MOSSOP, PRATT, SKELTON, SPIKINGS and TODKILL.
- White's 1882 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: CLARKE, COY, DICKERSON, EASTLAND, FAULKNER, MENNELL, MOSSOP, PRATT, REES, SKELTON, SPIKINGS, STUART, THURLBY and TODKILL.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Elloe (Spalding) petty session hearings.
- At its formation, the parish became part of the Holbeach Poor Law Union.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 29-September-2013 - Louis R. Mills]