Cranwell is both a village and a parish 4 miles north-northwest of Sleaford. Brauncewell parish lies to the north, North Rauceby to the south and Fulbeck to the west. The parish covers just over 2,520 acres.
Parish boundaries have changed over the last two centuries. Go here to find the West Lindsey ward (modern parish) boundaries.
The village of Cranwell is small and lies mostly on the north side of the road that runs through the parish. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A15 trunk road north out of Sleaford and turn west at the Cranwell turnoff onto the B1429 that runs out to the RAF base.
Ken BROCKWAY has a photograph of the village centre at Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
Accommodations can be found at the Byards Leap Cottage, Cranwell, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 8EY. Tel/Fax: 01400 261537.
During World War One, Cranwell was the site of a Royal Naval Air Station which opened in April, 1916. The base was named "HMS Daedalus." Aircraft were scrambled on several occasions to deal with Zeppelin raids.
In 1920, the Royal Air Force College was established at Cranwell. The main building was crafted of stone-dressed red brick by Sir James Grey West in 1931. It now also houses the Air Warfare Centre and The Air Cadet Organisation.
In 1941, the field was the site of the first test flight of a UK jet aircraft. The craft was designed by Lincoln-area engineer Frank WHITTLE.
The Lincolnshire Film Archive has a 16mm colour with sound film from 1967 depicting most aspects of life at the Royal Air Force College, both formal and informal.
In the 1980's, the Red Arrows aerobatic team was stationed at Cranwell.
Ian PATERSON has a photograph of a pilot returning from a circles and bumps training flight at Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the War Memorial at Geo-graph, taken in February, 2008.
The origin of the name Cranwell is Old English cran+wella, for "spring or stream freqeunted by cranes". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Craneuuelle. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]