|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BIRDSALL, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 4 miles SSE. of Malton. There is here a Chapel dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev; James Green is perpetual curate. Lord Henry Middleton has a seat here, which stands not far from the foot of the Wolds, in a fine sporting country. The mansion is spacious and commodious, and the pleasure grounds adorned with extensive plantations, contribute to render it an agreeable residence. Population 240.
This Church was appropriated by Walter de Espec, to his Priory at Kirkham. Here was born Henry Burton, a puritan divine, in 1579, and educated at St. John's College, Cambridge; but took his degree of B.D. at Oxford. He was afterwards clerk of the closet to Prince Henry, and to Prince Charles; but was turned out for a libel against the bishops. After this be obtained the rectory of St. Matthew, Friday-street; but got into trouble by his seditious sermons, was sentenced to pay a fine of 5000L. to be pilloried, and then imprisoned for life in Lancaster gaol. The place of his confinement was afterwards altered to the castle of Guernsey; where he remained till 1640, when the parliament recalled him. He was also restored to his living; and died in 1648. He wrote many pamphlets, chiefly controversial, and very abusive. --Biog. Dict."
"MOUNT FERRANT, a farm house in the parish of Birdsall, and wapentake of Buckrose; 1¾ miles SW. of Birdsall, 4½ miles S. of Malton,"
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]