The Ancient Parish of WHITBY
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WHITBY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Whitby Strand; 22 miles from
Guisborough, 20 from Scarborough, 31 from Stokesley, and 47 from York; in 54
deg. 29 min. 24 sec. north latitude, and 35 mm. 59 sec. west longitude. The
town stands on two opposite declivities, at the mouth of the Eske, by which
river it is divided into two parts, which are connected by a draw-bridge so
constructed as to admit vessels of 32 feet wide."
(There is further information for Whitby).
Information on the following places in
this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Cock Mill
- Cross Butts
- East Row
- Falling Foss
- Field House
- High Hawsker
- High Stakesby
- Larpool Hall
- Leas Head
- Mitton Hill
- Newton House
- Park Gate
- Sneaton Castle
- Stoupe Brow
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
St. Hilda's Church, Whitby.
The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Whitby.
St. Mary the Virgin's Church, Whitby.
St. Mary the Virgin's Church, Whitby) at night.
Sneaton Castle and St. Hilda's Priory, Whitby. The Priory is The Mother House of the Holy Paraclete (an Anglican Religious
Community) and the 19th century Castle is a conference centre.
St. Hilda's Priory, Sneaton Castle.
St. Hilda's Roman Catholic Church, Whitby.
St. Ninian's Anglican-Catholic Church, Whitby, built in 1777-8.
The United Reformed Church, Whitby.
The former Methodist Church, Whitby.
The former Methodist Chapel Cleveland Terrace, Whitby.
The Ruins of the Abbey, Whitby.
St. Margaret's Church, Aislaby.
All Saints' Church, Hawsker, built in 1870, view 1.
All Saints' Church, Hawsker, view 2.
The Methodist Church, Hawsker - ex Wesleyan, opened in 1851.
St. Bartholomew's Church, Ruswarp.
The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Sleights.
The Methodist Church, Briggswath - ex Wesleyan, opened 1905.
All Saints' Church, Ugglebarnby.
The Methodist Chapel, Littlebeck.
The Wesleyan Chapel, Newholme, opened in 1852.
The former Church of England Chapel, Dunsley. Served as an outreach of St Margaret's C of E Church at Aislaby near Whitby and was formerly Dunsley School. Is now a private dwelling.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- This parish is covered (or partly covered) by the following Societies:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014