|Yorkshire||West Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"DARTON, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 3½ miles NW. of Barnsley, 6 from Penistone, 8½ from Wakefield, 36½ from York. Pop. 1,340. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£12. 10s. p.r. *£150. Patron, Godfrey Wentworth, Esq.
A branch of the family of Beaumonts had formerly a seat here, at Darton Hall, of which family was George Beaumont, a merchant, who left considerable sums of money, to be employed in several charitable uses; particularly £500. for the founding of the Free Grammar School at this, his place of nativity, in 1675. Its annual value at present is about £120.
In the church, which is a beautiful structure, is a handsome marble monument to the memory of John Silvester, of Birthwaite Hall, which he purchased of the Burdett family. He was originally a blacksmith, and was the inventor of a curious chain made to go across the Thames. He died aged 70, in 1722."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Birthwaite Hall
- Broad Royd Head
- Clay Cliffe
- Day House
- Fox Hall
- Gawber Hall
- Lane Head
- Lower Carr Green
- Skiers Moor
- Swallow Hill
- Upper Carr Green