"HERBRANDSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (W.N.W.) from Milford, containing 221 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from one of the Norman or Flemish settlers in Pembrokeshire, named Herbrand, who, soon after the Conquest, fixed his residence at this place. It is situated on the eastern side of a small bay in Milford Haven, and is only of small extent; but the land is very fertile, and in a high state of cultivation. A fair is held annually in the village on the 12th of August, chiefly for hiring farm servants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £7. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St.Mary, is a plain ancient structure, with a low massive tower. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £116. 19." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1717-20, 1729-1908), Marriages (1729-1970) Banns (1813-52), Burials (1717-20, 1729-1992) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806-63, 1865-70) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105145.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Herbrandston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996