Family History and Genealogy Societies
This page provides means of finding information about societies whose interests relate to the UK & Ireland as a whole (amongst which the Society of Genealogists is pre-eminent), together with links to our pages listing societies that are devoted to smaller geographical areas, such as individual counties.
We provide information about a given society simply by linking to its web pages where these are known to us. Otherwise, if the society is a member of the The Family History Federation (formerly The Federation of Family History Societies, or the Scottish Association of Family History Societies, we provide a link to the postal address listings these provide. In addition, we are happy to receive and make available postal address details for other (non-commercial) family history societies, i.e. ones that are registered charities.
NOTE: We do not attempt to provide information about the large number of societies that relate just to particular surnames - but you may be able to find useful contacts in the Register maintained by the Guild of One-Name Studies (GOONS).
- Non-Regional Societies:
- Anglo-Italian FHS *
- British Association for Cemeteries in S. Asia *
- British Isles FHS of Greater Ottawa *
- British Isles FHS - USA *
- Catholic FHS *
- Families in British India Society *
- Family & Community Historical Research Society
- The Institute of Heraldic & Genealogical Studies
- International Society for British Genealogy & Family History *
- Jewish Gen Soc of Great Britain *
- Local Population Studies Society
- Quaker FHS *
- Rolls Royce FHS - web site unknown
- The Romany and Traveller FHS *
- The Society of Genealogists
- Family and Local History Indexing Group (FLHIG) formerly the Society of Indexers Genealogical Group (SIGG) and now, it seems, gone off the internet.
- Society for One-Place Studies
- Although not technically a society, there is also the One Place Study directory
* identifies societies that are members of the The Family History Federation.