"BISHAM, a parish in the hundred of Beynhurst, in the county of Berks, 1 mile from Marlow, and 5 miles to the N.W. of Maidenhead, its post town and nearest railway station. It is situated in a beautiful country, on the banks of the river Thames. It was the site of a preceptory of the Knights Templars, founded in the reign of Stephen, and converted into a priory of the Augustine order by William de Montacute, in 1338. This priory had a revenue of about £327, and flourished nearly 200 years. It was then re-founded by Henry VIII., as a Benedictine abbey, but shortly after dissolved, and granted by Edward VI. to the Hoby family. In this parish are Temple Mills, formerly employed for the manufacture of copper articles, but now converted into paper mills. The living is a the diocese of Oxford, value £156, in the patronage of G. Vansittart, Esq. The church, which stands by the river, is dedicated to All Saints, and has recently been restored. The most ancient portions are in the Norman style; and the church contains some interesting monuments of the Hoby family." (There is more of this description
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.