Hide

Edge

hide
Hide

"EDGE, a township in the parish of MALPAS, higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Malpas, containing 298 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Edge was a township in Malpas ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4950), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It included the hamlets of Hampton Heath (part), Kidnal (part), Simmonds Green and Witney.
  • The population was 266 in 1801, 263 in 1851, 212 in 1901, 267 in 1951, and 164 in 2001.
  • The civil parish was abolished in 2015 and incorporated into No Man's Heath & District and Malpas.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Historical Geography

topup

Politics & Government

  • Whitchurch Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Malpas Rural District (1894-1936)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1936-74)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-74)