"PULFORD, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Poulton and Pulford, and containing 318 inhabitants, of which number, 186 are in the township of Pulford, 5¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Chester. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £6. 15. 10., and in the patronage of Earl Grosvenor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Earl and Countess Grosvenor support two schools in the parish, one for boys, and the other for girls. A Cistercian monastery, a cell to the abbey of Combermere, was founded in 1153, by Robert, the Earl of Chester's baker, the monks being placed in it to pray for the earl while a prisoner in the hands of King Stephen. This establishment, on account of the frequent incursions of the Welch, was removed, in 1214, to Dieulacres in Staffordshire. In a field, called the Castle Hill, are traces of a foss and other remains of an ancient fortification" [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Pulford, also a township in Pulford ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 3759), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlet of Cuckoo's Nest.
- The population was 170 in 1801, 204 in 1851, 305 in 1901, 285 in 1951, and 395 in 2001.
- In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Poulton & Pulford.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
- Broxton (1828-71)
- Chester Castle (1871-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012-15)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pulford to another place.
"PULFORD, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 6 miles from Wrexham, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Chester. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on Pulford brook, a branch of the river Dee, and near the line of the Shrewsbury railway. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the hamlet of Poulton, and is traversed by the road from Chester to Wrexham. The soil is of a heavy description, but favourable to the growth of wheat. A courtleet is annually held by the Marquis of Westminster, as lord of the manor. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200, and the glebe consists of 6 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a cruciform structure with a square tower containing two bells. The church was rebuilt at the expense of the Marquis of Westminster in 1833. There is a school for both sexes supported by the Marquis of Westminster, who owns the chief part of the soil. In a field called the Castle Hill, adjoining the rectory house, are traces of a fosse and ancient fortifications."
"POULTON, a township in the parish of Pulford, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 5 miles S. by W. of Chester. It is situated on a branch of the river Dee. It had formerly a Cistercian Abbey founded by Robert Pincerna, who was butler to Ranulph Earl of Chester, but the monks, having suffered from the frequent incursions of the Welsh, removed to Dieulacres in Staffordshire in 1214; but Poulton contained a parcel of the possessions of the monastery till its dissolution."
You can see the administrative areas in which Pulford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ389595 (Lat/Lon: 53.1289, -2.914295), Pulford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)