The parish of Landrake (Cornish: Lannergh) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Quethiock, and the detached portion of St Stephen-by-Saltash called Howton, on the east by Botus Fleming and St Stephens-by-Saltash, on the south by the estuary of the River Lynher and the parish of St Erney, and on the west by St Germans and Quethiock. It has always been closely associated with that of St Erney. The name of the parish comes from lannergh, 'a clearing'.
Landrake village and parish is north-west of Saltash on the River Lynher; it is larger than most Churchtowns and had three fairs held annually. The church tower creates a landmark for miles around. A very small portion of the village of Tideford was once in this parish.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- Transcriptions from Landrake churchyard are available on the Cornish Cemeteries site.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/135), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/1900), Enumeration Districts 1 & 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Landrake is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Landrake (RG9/1525), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG10/2231), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Landrake (RG11/2282), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG12/1808), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3 is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3760; it is dedicated to St Peter. It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept. The arcade consists of four four-centred arches of free stone. The north porch is very shallow; it is buttressed and finished with crocketed pinnacles. There is also a south porch and a priest's door. The tower is about a hundred feet in height from the foundation; it is of three stages. It is buttressed on the square, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles, and contains a clock.
St Erney has been consolidated with this parish in all parochial matters.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and Bible Christians both had chapels in the Churchtown.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Landrake are: C052841, E052841, M052841. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1583 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1585 - 1981, Burials 1587 - 1987, Marriages 1583 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1583 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms in this parish 1565 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1650 to 1840 for the parish of Landrake & St Erney and this can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Banns. Banns in this parish 1824 to 1807 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's marriages in this parish 1583 to 1807, and parish transcripts 1813 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1583 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of Landrake is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Landrake to another place.
"LANDRAKE, a parish in the S. division of the hundred of East, county Cornwall, 3½ miles N.E. of St. German's, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Saltash. The village is chiefly agricultural. The parish is bounded on the E. by the river Lynher, here crossed by a bridge. The living is a vicarage* with that of St. Erney annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £282. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a lofty turreted tower. In the chancel is a monument to the Courtenay family. There is a chapel-of-ease at Erney. The charities produce about £100 per annum, including the endowment of a school, founded in 1703 by Sir Robert Jeffrey, and the income of the five almshouses. There are Sunday-schools and a chapel for Wesleyans. The Earl of Mount Edgcumbe is lord of the manor. Cattle fairs are held on the first Wednesdays in February and September, and cattle and pleasure fairs on St. Peter's Day and the 29th June."
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Landrake has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Germans Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX374605 (Lat/Lon: 50.421794, -4.290314), Landrake which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Landrake parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The population figures for Landrake parish invariably included St Erney. From 1991 the parish was enumerated as part of Landrake with St Erney, Botusfleming & Landulph Parishes.