Lanreath, (Cornish: Lannreydhow), anciently called Lanreythow, Lanrathew, Lanrethou, is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by St Pinnock, on the east by Duloe, Pelynt and Lansallos, on the south by St Veep, and on the west by St Veep and Boconnoc. The parish name is pronounced 'Lanreth'. The meaning is 'Church site (lann) of Raydhogh', about whom nothing is known. It is a quiet pleasant village north-west of Fowey. There is a curious story of a ghost in black who drove a coach with headless horses. It was exorcised by the Reverend Grylls and Parson Dodge, but not before the the Reverend Grylls had been knocked unconscious by the phantom driver. It is reported that Parson Dodge offered a prayer and the ghost disappeared for ever.
The only village in this parish is the Churchtown. Herodsfoot village was partly in this parish, although Herodsfoot parish was created a separate parish from part of Lanreath in 1851.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 501 entries.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1856; it is dedicated to St Marnarck (Manacus, Manakneu) & St Dunstan. However it was originally dedicated to St Sancredus on 17th October 1721. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and north transept. he arcade consists of five four-centred arches, supported on monolith granite pillars. here is a south porch asnd a private entrance into pews previously used exclusively by the Grylls family. The tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles; it contains six bells.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Mount Pleasant, and a Bible Christian chapel at Burze.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1555 - 1992, Burials 1555 - 1992, Marriages 1555 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage indexes 1597 - 1673, BTs 1597 - 1673, Non-Conformist records 1816 - 1827.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms in this parish 1680 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1677 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
  • Marriages.
    • Phillimore marriages in this parish 1676 to 1772, and parish transcripts 1754 to 1812, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Callington Area Heritage Centre (broken link) have placed on-line marriage records for Lanreath parish 1813 to 1837.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1555 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials in this parish 1677 to 1812 (including Bishop's transcripts 1680 to 1772), are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of Lanreath has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Lanreath which are provided by:



The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"LANREATH, a parish in the hundred of West, county Cornwall, 6 miles S. of Lostwithiel, its post town, 6 N.W. of West Looe, and 10 W. of Liskeard. It is situated on a branch of the river Fowey called Herod's Foot, and contains the lakes of Ball and Trebant. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Lime is burnt. On Bury Down is a Roman causeway called the Giant's Hedge, and an encampment know as Bury Down Beacon; also several barrows in which coins and bones were discovered in 1855. Petty sessions for the hundred of West are held at Trecan Gate in this parish every first Wednesday in the month. The soil is clay upon a subsoil of killas. Some of the land is fertile, but the greater portion of inferior quality. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £500. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £504. The church, dedicated to St. Marnarch, is a stone structure with a peal of six bells. It contains a curious Norman font, and a carved screen with a portrait in oil of Richard II. The register dates from 1555. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school held at the rector's schools. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Calvinists have each a place of worship. There are several lords of the manor. Cattle fairs are held in the third week after Shrove Tuesday, 2nd May, and 18th November."



OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.


Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lanreath ecclesiastical parish:



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX183579 (Lat/Lon: 50.393016, -4.557454), Lanreath which are provided by:



Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanreath (1726 - 1837) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.


Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Lanreath parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1706 to 1842) and Settlement Papers (1708 to 1850) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.


Herodsfoot was created from part of this parish 1851. The following population figures include Herodsfoot parish.

  • Population in 1801 - 478 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 548 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 629 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 651 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 651 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 662 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 649 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 633 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 459 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 524 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 469 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 446 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 378 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 376 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 390 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 356 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 352 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 445 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 505 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 514 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 566 persons


The parish is comprised of 4964 acres of land and 2 acres of water.