Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for St Stephens by Saltash

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

St Stephens by Saltash

Primary tabs

The parish of St Stephens-by-Saltash, (Cornish: Treveu), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Botus Fleming and Landulph, on the east by the River Tamar, the town of Saltash and the (once) Cornish part of St Budeaux, on the south by St Germans Creek, and on the west by the River Lynher which separates it from St Erney and Landrake. A detached part of the parish, called Howton, is bounded by Pillaton, Botus Fleming, Landrake and Quethiock.

This parish originally covered the town of Saltash, until a separate ecclesiastical parish of Saltash was formed in 1881. It still covers the area west of the town of Saltash, and is the remnant of the original parish when the town was separated from it in 1697. The neighbouring village of St Germans is on the lower reaches of the River Tiddy.
The name of the village is taken from the Bishop of Auxerre, to whom the original church was dedicated. Early in the 12th century it became a priory of Augustinian canons. The manor and castle of Trematon, is the Tremetone in the Domesday Survey of 1086. The remains of the castle comprise a keep, gateway and the bass-court. Quarrying was an important industry in this parish.

The main villages are the Churchtown, Burraton, Elmgate, Forder, Longlands, Notter, Trehan, Trematon, Trevollard, Wearde, Antony Passage and Carkeel. The Churchtown is now just a suburb of Saltash town; in 1951, St Stephens became part of Saltash civil parish again.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



Monumental inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded.



Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX4158 and was dedicated to St Stephen. It is built in a Perpendicular style, comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and a vestry. The arches on each side of the chancel are supported on piers each pierced by two openings, one over the other. The south arcade has five four-centred arches, and the north four; the pillars are fine granite monoliths. The vestry adjoins the east end of the north aisle. The entrances are a south porch and a north door. The tower, said to be 100 feet high, has three stages, is buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and stump pinnacles. The newel projects from the centre of the north side. The belfry contains six bells all cast in 1760. The registers date from 1545.
  • Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Trematon, Forder and Burraton; at Burraton there was also a chapel for the Plymouth Brethren.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for St Stephens are: C023031/2. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1679 - 1772.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1545 - 1973, Burials 1545 - 1974, Marriages 1545 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1599 - 1673, Non-Conformist records 1820 - 1837, BTs 1599 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Churchwardens accounts for St Stephens-by-Saltash (1729-1750) are available in the Lambeth Palace Library.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1679 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1900 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1728 to 1842 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Banns. Banns 1848 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • Marriages 1679 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1546 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1679 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1894 to 1937 (transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in Bork and CD file formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of St Stephens-by-Saltash is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, St Germans, Cornwall. Tel: 01752 842624.


Description and Travel

    You can see pictures of St Stephens by Saltash which are provided by:



    Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Stephens by Saltash to another place.

    Click here for a list of nearby places.



    OPC Assistance.

    • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

    Historical Geography

    The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Stephens-by-Saltash ecclesiastical parish:

    You can see the administrative areas in which St Stephens by Saltash has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



    Apprenticeship Indentures for St Stephens-by-Saltash (1744 - 1832) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.


    Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

    • St Stephens-by-Saltash parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1673 to 1718, 1739 to 1780, 1782 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1718 to 1852) and Bastardy Bonds (1715 to 1832), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
    • Some Overseers' Rates, Accounts and Records have been transcribed by Rita Bone Kopp and are available on-line.


    The parish was created from part of Saltash parish in 1697. From 1951 onwards St Stephens became part of Saltash civil parish again.

    • Population in 1801 - 1004 persons
    • Population in 1811 - 1121 persons
    • Population in 1821 - 1325 persons
    • Population in 1831 - 1455 persons
    • Population in 1841 - 1422 persons
    • Population in 1851 - 1374 persons
    • Population in 1861 - 1387 persons
    • Population in 1871 - 1377 persons
    • Population in 1881 - 1421 persons
    • Population in 1891 - 1516 persons
    • Population in 1901 - 2109 persons
    • Population in 1911 - 2422 persons
    • Population in 1921 - 2925 persons
    • Population in 1931 - 2727 persons


    The parish comprises 5833 acres of land and 1200 acres of water.