[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"WALTON, a parish in the hundred of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 10 miles N. of Carlisle, its post town, and 3 N. of Brampton. The village is situated near the river Irthing, on the site of the Roman station Petriana, now called Castle Steads, on the old wall which crossed the parish, and out of the materials of which several houses have been built. The parish includes the townships of High and Low Walton. The surface is undulating, and includes a considerable extent of moorland and peat moss. The soil is argillaceous, with patches of loam. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £124. There are an endowed school and a Sunday-school. W. P. Johnson, Esq., of Walton House, is lord of the manor." "LOW WALTON, a township in the parish of Walton, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 4 miles N. of Brampton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]