The Heanor Library on Ilkeston Road near Trinity Way is normally open six days a week. It has a Local Studies and Family History section that will help you in your searches.
The Langley Mill area is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which stops at Bailey Brook Drive on every fourth Tuesday in the mid afternoon.
Heanor Cemetery is located on the A6007 road just south of Locton Avenue. There is a history of the cemetery at the Heanor and District Local History site.
Initially, a plot of 4.5 acres was purchased and named "The Hallows". Two mortuary chapels were built on the property - one for Church of England burials and the other for non-conformist and non-Christian burials. The chapels are linked by an archway. The cemetery was consecrated in January, 1858. The graveyard was extended by 5 acres in 1893 and extended again in 2000. The HOWITT Lychgate was added in 1937.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the cemetery chapels on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2017.
- The parish was in the Ilkeston sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1851 H.O. 107 / 2126 1861 R.G. 9 / 2431 & 2435 1891 R.G. 12 / 2663 1911 R.G. 14 / 20398
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Lawrence. In the 15th Century, the dedication was to St. Michael.
- The church traces its history back to a church mentioned in the 1086 Domesday survey.
- The church was completely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1868.
- The church seats 750.
- Mat FASCIONE has a photograph of the Tower of St. Lawrence Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2016.
- The church has a good website, with some building history on it.
- Saint John's Church in Aldecar was built as a Chapel of Ease to Saint Lawrence Church.
- St. John's Church seats 230.
- Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of St. John's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2008.
- We have a pop-up window of a handful of Parish Register marriages in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- Marriages at Heanor, 1558-1837 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- There are also Heanor Baptisms, 1816-1837 at Taghill.
- The Anglican church was in the rural deanery of Alfreton.
- The Primitive Methodists built a small chapel here in 1819.
- The Society of Friends (Quakers) built a meeting-house here in 1834.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1839 which could seat 600.
- The General Baptists built a small chapel here in 1849. Their chapel is on Derby Road.
- Gary ? has a photograph of Heanor Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2016.
- In Loscoe, the Presbyterians built a small chapel in 1722 on the High Street. It changed into a Baptist chapel in 1782,
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Ilkeston sub-district of the Basford Registration District.
"HEANOR is a neat village and populous township, in the parish of its name, and in the same hundred as Ilkeston, about four miles N.N.W. from that town, eight and a half N.E. from Derby, and eight S. from Alfreton. This place, which was formerly a market-town, is pleasantly situate on an eminence, and the eastern boundary of the parish is watered by the Erewash river. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring coal works, and others in the manufacture of lace."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
This large village is 8 miles north-east of Derby city, 10 miles north-west of Nottingham and 7 miles east of Belper. It has a current population of over 17,000 people. Langley Mill is a village, partly in Heanor parish and partly in Eastwood parish, Nottinghamshire. Aldercar is a village in Heanor parish just north of Langley Mill.
The Midland Railroad opened a station here in 1890. Railway passenger service ceased here in 1939, but there is still a functioning station at Langley Mill.
Gary has a photograph of the Village Sign at Geo-graph, taken in September, 2016.
- A Description of Heanor has been transcribed by Heather FAULKES from Pigot's Directory of 1828.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Heanor entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Ann ANDREWS also provides a transcription of the Langley Mill entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Heanor from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Heanor to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Heanor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Heanor was a coal mining parish. See Heanor History.
- Heanor used to hold an annual cattle fair on the Thursday before Michaelmas day (Sept. 29th).
- Peter BARR has a photograph of the Coach and Horses Pub. (derelict) on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2012.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Eclipse Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2015.
- Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the Red Lion Inn on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2013.
- Kevin HALE has a photograph of the Memory Lane pub, on the Derby Road on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2006.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK433465 (Lat/Lon: 53.01406, -1.356049), Heanor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A Memorial Park was established by the Amber Valley District Council as a tribute to all military and civilian personnel of the British forces killed and injured in the service of their country.
- The Amber Valley District Council has a website describing the park.
- Heanor Cemetery contains 14 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-18 war and 11 of the 1939-45 war. There is also one Polish Airman buried here.
- Loscoe has a Memorial Garden next to the Baptist School Room for the men from WWII who died.
For a photograph of the Aldercar War Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.
The Commonwealth War Graves are for (data from the CWGC site):
|Maruice ANGELL||aircraftman 2nd class||RAF Volun. Rsrv.||28 Aug. 1940||Age 25, son of William and Ethel ANGELL|
|Fred BAKER||corporal||Army Catering Corps||3 Aug. 1945||Age 27, the son of Walter and Charlotte BAKER of Langley, Notts.|
|B. E. BROWN||private||2/6 West Riding Regt.||9 Apr. 1918||Age 29, son of Thomas and Elizabeth BROWN|
|Ronald John BROWN||private||East Surrey Regt.||29 Dec. 1946||Age 25, born 1921|
|Joseph H. BUXTON||private||Grenadier Guards||26 June 1916||Son of Joseph and Sarah A. BUXTON|
|Clarence Victor CLARKE||second lieutenant||RAF||16 Feb. 1919||Age 21, born NTT, son of Frederick John and Harriett CLARKE|
|Ivan DRAPER||private||Royal Army Ordinance Corps||18 Feb. 1941||Age 20, son of Walter and Winifred DRAPER of Langley Mill, NTT.|
|Douglas FLINT||aircraftman 2nd class||RAF Volun. Reserve.||9 Sept. 1941||Age 21, son of Albert and Emily FLINT of Langley, NTT.|
|Arthur W. KEW||private||Sherwood Foresters||31 July 1918||Age 26, husband of Alice KEW of Langley Mill, NTT. (born 1881, age should be 36)|
|Kazimierz Franciszck KRAWCZYK||popporucznik||Polish Air Force||13 Jan. 1943|
|T. H. LOCHTON||private||297th T. T. Coy., Labour Corps||23 May 1918|
|S. MEAKIN||private||Sherwood Foresters||19 Oct. 1918||Age 36, husband of Alice KEW of Langley Mill, NTT.|
|Henry Walker OAKES||gunnar||Royal Artillery||19 July 1943||Age 37, husband of Gladys Evelyn OAKES of Smalley|
|C. J. OLDERSHAW||driver||Royal Field Artillery||18 Oct. 1917||Age 22, son of Isaac OLDRSHAW|
|Frank PALFREYMAN||aircraftman 2nd class||RAF Volun. Reserve.||29 April 1942||Age 19, son of Francis and Annie PALFREYMAN|
|A. POOLE||private||Black Watch||28 Nov. 1917||Age 19, son of George and Ruth POOLE|
|William PRINCE||private||Sherwood Foresters||11 Aug. 1916||Age 31, son of Henry Kelsall PRINCE of NTT.|
|L. REED||lance corporal||4th Btln., King's Royal Rifle Corps||22 July 1916|
|Johnalter SAXTON||private||Sherwood Foresters||20 Feb. 1915||Age 19, born 1894 in Heanor, son of John and Lydia SAXTON (Ne MORLEY)|
|John SEEDS||private||2nd Btln., Lincolnshire Regt.||23 Oct. 1943||Age 19, son of Philip and Lily SEEDS of Langley, NTT.|
|William Arthur SMITH-CROSS||leading aircraftman||RAF Volun. Reserve||10 Oct. 1941||Age 22, son of George and Mary Eleanor CROSS of Langley Mill, NTT.|
|Fred STEEL||serjeant||2/5, Sherwood Foresters||23 July 1942||Age 23, husband of Ivy STEEL|
|J. TEBBUTT||serjeant||2/5, Sherwood Foresters||24 April 1920|
|Thomas William WATERALL||private||7th Btln., East Kent Regt.||9 Feb. 1919||Age 21, son of Thomas and Letitia WATERALL|
|Richard WILBER||fusilier||7th Btln., Royal Welch Fusiliers||12 May 1941||Age 25, husband of Edna M. WILBER|
|W. WRIGHT||private||9th Btln., Durham Light Infantry||9 Oct. 1917|
- Here are some fragments of local history from the Derby Mercury newspaper.
- In the 1800s, the villages were also served by the Ripley and Heanor News published in Heanor.
- In 1912, the Heanor Observer was published in Heanor weekly on Thursdays by Severn and Sons on Market Street. It appears to have been published from 1900 to 1977. Copies can be viewed at the Heanor Library.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar offers this notice from the Derby Mercury of 24 February, 1803: "DIED: A few days ago, at Heanor, in this county, Rebecca VARLEY, a pauper of that parish, at the great age of 106."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 8 September, 1803: "DIED: On the 25th ult. in London, Mrs BARTON, sister of E. M. MUNDY, Esq. M.P. for this county. - Her remains were interred at Heanor, near this place, on Saturday last."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 10 November 1803: "DIED: On Thursday last at Heanor, in this county, in the 58th year of his age, John SUTTON, gent. much respected by all who knew him."
- This place was an ancient parish in county Derby and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Heanor formed an Urban District Council in 1895.
- You may contact the Heanor and Loscoe Town Council regarding civic and political matters, but they are NOT staffed to help you with your family history.
- Reger TEMPLEMAN has a photograph of the Heanor & Loscoe Town Hall in Market Street on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2017.
- District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.
A Public Elementary School was built here in 1908 for up to 216 boys, but attendance sometimes exceeded that number.
A Public Elementary School (infants) was erected in 1892 for 172 infants.
The Heanor Secondary and Technical School was here by 1912, training teacher and technical students.
Gary ? has a photograph of the Corfield Church of England Infant School Sign on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2019.