“SHIRLAND, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2 miles N.W. of Alfreton, its post town, and about the same distance from the Stretton station on the Midland railway. Shirland was formerly a market town, and is still a considerable village. The parish includes the hamlets of Hallfield and Higham. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in framework knitting, but the greater number in agriculture. The parish is watered by the river Amber, which flows through it.
About a third of the land is arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland. The soil is clayey, and the substratum contains seams of coal. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £175, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. There is also a rent-charge of £19, payable to the Rector of Morton. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £215.
The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, was built in the 14th century, and was thoroughly restored in 1848. The interior contains effigies of the De Greys, also a monument to the Revell family bearing date 1510. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. There is a National also a free school for both sexes, at Hatfield-gate, endowed by Edward Revell with about £25 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Gladwin Turbell, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"HIGHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Shirland, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 3 miles N.W. of Alfreton, 7½ from Chesterfield, and 1½ mile from Stretton railway station. It is a large ancient village, situated on the Roman Icknield Street, and was formerly a market town, but has considerably decreased of late. Many of the inhabitants are employed in stocking weaving and in the adjoining bleach-grounds. There is an old cross in the centre of the market-place. The Wesleyans have a chapel with an infant school attached. A fair is held on the first Wednesday after New-Year's Day.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Stonebroom is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which has three stops in the Village on every fourth Wednesday afternoon.
Shireland is served by the same Mobile Library on route 5 on every fourth Wednesday afternoon.
- Bill HENDERSON has a photograph of part of St. Leonard's churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in 2004.
- The parish council has purchased land adjacent to St. Leonard's churchyard for a public cemetery. Burials are monitored by the parish council's Burial Board.
- The parish was in the Ashover sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1851 H.O. 107 / 2147 1861 R.G. 9 / 2526 1891 R.G. 12 / 2759
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Leonard.
- The church was built around the 14th century at the east end of the village. There is evidence of an earlier church in the parish.
- The church was thoroughly restored in 1848.
- The church seats 200.
- In 1892 the churchyard was enlarged.
- William HENDERSON has a photograph of St. Leonard's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2004.
- Ian S. has a good photograph of the Church tower on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015.
- St. Peter's Church in Stonebroom was built in the 13th century.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Stonebroom Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011. It appears that they never built the tower that was planned around 1910.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1678 for burials and 1695 for all other entries.
- Marriages at Shirland, 1695-1837 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- Mike SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Alfreton.
- The Society of Friends (Quakers) had a meeting house here in Toad Hole before 1857.
- A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built here before 1857.
- A Wesleyan Methodist Reformers chapel was built in Higham in 1852.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel in Shirland in 1911.
- St. Peter's Church in Stonebroom has a parish register that dates from 1895 for baptisms and 1910 for marriages.
- The Baptists had a chapel in Stonebroom built in 1877.
- Stonebroom also had a United Methodist Chapel in 1911.
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of the Stonebroom Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2011. This appears to be a more recent structure than the one mentioned above.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Ashover sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
"SHIRLAND is a parish, in the hundred of Scarsdale, two miles N.W. from Alfreton, containing the hamlet of HIGHAM, which was formerly a market town, but discontinued as such about 1785. Higham is a place of considerable antiquity situate on the Iknield-street of the Romans. The parish church, dedicated to St. Leonard contains several ancient monuments of the De Greys. The parish contained, in 1831, 1,212 inhabitants, and Higham 595 of that number."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish lies 141 miles north of the city of London, 2 miles north of Alfreton on the A61 and about 5 miles south of Clay Cross on that same road. It covers over 2,942 acres and includes the hamlets of Higham, Hallfield Gate and Stonebroom. The River Amber forms the western border of the parish.
Higham is less than a mile north-west of Shirland village. Prior to 1785, this was a market town and its ancient market cross still stands.
Stonebroom has grown to be the largest settlement in the parish. It was formerly a hamlet and in it was established an ecclesiastical parish in June, 1910, when St. Peter's Church was licensed.
There is a golf course just south of Shirland village. Trevor RICKARD has a photograph of the Golf Course on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2011. Trevor knows that golf is easier in July than in January.
Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of The Community Centre on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2018.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Shirland entry under Alfreton from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Shirland with Higham entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shirland to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shirland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of the Higham Market Cross on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012.
- Jonathan CLITHEROE also has a photograph of the Shoulder of Mutton Pub. in Hallfield Gate, on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2012.
- These are the names associated with the Shoulder of Mutton found in different Directories:
Year Person 1857 Wm. BATTY 1870 James J. DOLE 1899 John BRAILSFORD 1912 John BRAILSFORD
- David BEVIS has a photograph of the Crown Inn in Higham, on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of the Red Lion in Shirland, on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- Neil THEASBY also has a photograph of the Red Lion in Shirland, on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2015.
- Graham HOGG has a photograph of The Red Lion off Main Street, on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2019.
- These are the names associated with the Red Lion Inn found in different Directories:
Year Person 1855 John HADFIELD 1870 Jas. ASKEW 1891 John LAMB 1895 John LAMB 1912 George T. LAMB
- Ian S. has a photograph of the Woolpack Pub. in Shirland, on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015. At the time of this picture, the Woolpack was closed.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of The Star in Stonebroom, on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
Rose KELLAND offers this notice from the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald of Wednesday, 18 November 1903:
"A Shirland Miner’s Compensation Claim – An Important Decision
His Honour Judge LINDLEY
TOM KEETON, shot firer at Shirland Colliery, seeking compensation for injuries, living at Stonebroom
Mr J.T. TODD, general manager of Blackwell Co.
Mr G.J. BINNS, manager of Midland Colliery Owners’ Indemnity Assoc
Mr W.E. HARVEY Derbyshire Miners’ Agent
Rev JNO. SHEPHARD Clay Cross, auditor
JNO. HAWKSLEY, Birches Lane, South Wingfield, pony driver at Shirland Colliery
WM PURSEGLOVE all three workmates of TOM KEETON
WILLIAM KEETON deputy and cousin
Drs. LEARY and BINGHAM, and Dr. WALFORD
WM BOWLER, stallman
Dr. CORKERY Alfreton
FREDK. FRITCHLEY, pony driver at Shirland Colliery
HANNAH KEETON, wife of TOM KEETON
GILES SPARHAM worked at Shirland Colliery"
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK389583 (Lat/Lon: 53.120463, -1.420207), Shirland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial is the double gate into the churchyard of St. Leonard's Church. The Imperial War Museum (online) describes it as: "A rectangular open-topped shelter with ashlar walls. A stone Latin cross is attached to one internal end wall and a rectangular grey slate tablet to the other." 74 names are listed.
- St. Peter's Church in Stonebroom has a War Memorial on the outside wall of the church.
- Ian S. has a photograph of the War Memorial at St Peter's Church in Stonebroom, on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015.
- You can see the War Memorial Plaque for World War I at Military Images, complete with names. The plaque does not identify the units served in (although we have added that from the Derbyshire Wm site) or even if this is a list of casualties or of men who served (they all appear to be casualties).
There are the names on the War Memorial plaque in Stonebroom:
There are eight Commonwealth War Graves in St. Leonard's churchyard from the two World Wars:
- Samuel BROWN, priv., 4th Btn. Leicester Regt., age 20, died 29 Nov. 1918. Son of George and Hannah BROWN of Stonebroom.
- Kenneth CLAYTON, srgt., RAF Vol. Rsrv., age 21, died 27 Spet. 1944. Son of Edward and Hilda CLAYTON.
- W. HASLAM, priv., Depot, Sherwood Foresters, died 7 Mar. 1917.
- H. HASTON, priv., Depot, Sherwood Foresters, died 25 Oct. 1918. Husband of Lilian Elsie HASTON of Bolton-on-Dearne.
- David MOORE, srgt., 1/6 Btn. South Staffs. Regt., age 30, died 15 Sept. 1942. Husband of Joyce MOORE of Morton.
- Samuel SADLER, priv., age 42, Labour Corps, died 12 Jan. 1918. Husband of Fanny SADLER.
- Alfred SHARRATT, priv., 10th Btn. Sherwood Foresters, age 40, died 9 Sept. 1916. Husband of Eliza SHARRATT.
- Alfred TURTON, lance corp., Royal Armoured Corps, age 26, died 7 Feb. 1942. Husband of Evelyn May TURTON.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 1 August 1804: "MARRIED: This morning, Mr Wm. STORER, of this place, butcher, to Miss Mary MILWARD, of Shirland Park, in this county."
Andre ? tells us that the Derby Mercury for 29 June 1842 tells us:
"We are sorry to have to announce the death of Mr. HARDY, a respectable butcher and cheesemonger, of Shirland Derbyshire, who on Thursday, at about five o'clock, put a period to his existence by hanging himself in a cheese chamber occupied by him in the Black Bull Inn yard, Mansfield. He was found in about half an hour afterward, and although medical assistance was instantly procured, the vital spark had fled. We understand he had made similar attempts two or three times prior, but without succeeding."
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- You may contact the local Parish Council. regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT tasked with helping you with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the North East Derbyshire District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Alfreton petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Chesterfield Poorlaw Union.
The Public Elementary School (mixed) at Shirland was built in 1851 and enlarged in 1884 to hold 194 boys and girls and 50 infants. By 1911, it was just an infants school.
A Public Elementary School at Hallfield Gate was founded in 1637, and enlarged in 1876. It was reconstructed in 1891 to hold 101 children.
New Higham Public Elementary School was built in 1895 and enlarged in 1905 to hold 272 boys and girls.
The Stonebroom Lane Public Elementary School was built in 1870 for 367 boys and girls and 216 infants.
Neil THEASBY has a photograph of the Derelict old school building on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2015.
David BEVIS has a photograph of the same old primary school on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2012. He includes a note that the school relocated to Park Road.