A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
NYMPTON (BISHOP'S), a parish in the hundred of WITHERIDGE, county of DEVON, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from South Molton, containing 1096 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £20. 7. 3., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter. The church contains some elegant screen-work, and a rich monument to one of the Pollard family. Cattle fairs are held here on April 14th and October 20th.