"BUCKFASTLEIGH is large manufacturing village, in two parts, called Higher and Lower Towns, pleasantly seated on the western side of the river Dart, 2½ miles S.W. by S. of Ashburton. It has about 300 woolcombers, several corn mills, and four blanket and serge mills; but only two of the latter are at present occupied, and give employment to about 400 hands. Its parish had 1525 inhabitants, in 1801, 2445 in 1831, and 2576 in 1841; and comprises 4379A. 3R. 35P. of cultivated land, and 1072½ acres of open moorland, on the eastern side of Dartmoor Forest, whence two rivulets flow to the Dart . . . . The parish rises in bold hills from the village, and has quarries of limestone and a sort of black marble. It comprises the hamlets of Buckfast, Scorraton, and Runnaford Coombe; several neat mansions, commanding beautiful views; and a number of scattered farm-houses. . . . BUCKFAST ABBEY, in the Dart valley, about a mile north of Buckfastleigh. . . . The parish Church (Holy Trinity,) stands on an eminence, ascended by 144 steps, and is a large antique structure, which, after being long in a shamefully neglected state, has been restored and beautified since June, 1844, at the cost of more than £1400. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Stanborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.