A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CADBURY, a parish in the hundred of HAYRIDGE county of DEVON, 6¼ miles (S. W.) from Tiverton, containing 242 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter rated in the king's books at £9. 4. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. On the summit of a high hill, called Cadbury Castle, is an enclosure nearly circular, consisting of a single vallum and fosse, supposed to be either of British or of Roman origin.