"CHERITON-BISHOP, or South Cheriton, a village on the Okehampton road, 9½ miles W. of Exeter, and 6 miles S.W. of Crediton, has in its parish 848 souls, and about 5000 acres of land, of which 4719 acres are rateable. The gross rental is £1397. The parish has many scattered houses, and includes the hamlet of Cheriton Cross, and part of the village of CROCKERNWELL, which is partly in Drewsteignton parish, and gives name to a division for which petty sessions are held at the Royal Hotel, on the first Monday of every month. The Bishops of Exeter were formerly lords of Cheriton, but the manor was alienated in the reign of Henry VIII. Baldwin Fulford, Esq., is now lord of the manors of Eggbeare and Lampford, which have been long held by his family, but a great part of the parish belongs to Dr. Pennell, the Rev. Wm. Ponsford, George Ponsford, Esq., Wm. Lambert, Esq., and many smaller freeholders. Medland was a seat of the Foulkes family, but the estate was sold in parcels some years ago. The parish Church (St. Mary,) has a tower and six bells, and contains some monuments of the Davy family." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Cheriton Bishop parish is in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Williams, John. Monumental Inscriptions: West Down Evangelical Church (Plymouth Brethren) cemetery, Typescript (2012) 2 pp. [DFHS Library - Cheriton Bishop parish file]
Transcription of the 1821 Census of Cheriton Bishop, by Fay Sampson Priestley. (The original document is in private hands.)
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]
Cheriton Bishop - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
The church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Cheriton Bishop. [Cheriton Bishop?]: [Church?] [1968?] 4p. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/CHE/CHU]
Parish Registers going back to 1538 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1841, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Cheriton Bishop web-site - general information.
Conservation Area Appraisal for Crockernwell - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.
Section on Cheriton Bishop from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
Richardson, Richard. Portrait of a village - Cheriton Bishop. Devon Life vol. 6 no. 51 (1970) pp.32-34; ill.
Transcript of entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cheriton Bishop to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cheriton Bishop has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
A History of Some Farms in Cheriton Bishop, by Sophia Lambert.
Cheriton Bishop Womens' Institute. Looking Back at Cheriton Bishop, [Devon FHS Library p942.35/CHE] (1982).
Chesher, Veronica. The Glebe Terrier of Cheriton Bishop, 1680. In Devon Documents (ed. T. Gray). Tiverton: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, Special Issue (1996) [ISBN 0925836203] pp.41-49.
Transcription, by Fay Sampson Priestley, of a Rent Book for the Fulford Estate, including the Manors of Melhuish, Lampford, and Eggbear. (The original document is in private hands.)
Chief Rents And Properties in the Manors of Spreyton, Lamford (Cheriton Bishop) and Fursham (Drewsteignton), 1800 and 1859, transcribed by Sophia Lambert.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX773935 (Lat/Lon: 50.728124, -3.739847), Cheriton Bishop which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)