"CHRISTOW, a straggling village on the western side of the river Teign, 9 miles S.W. of Exeter, and 4½ miles N.W. of Chudleigh, has in its parish 624 souls, and about 3600 acres of land. Viscount Exmouth owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manors of Christow and Canon-Teign, which were purchased by his father of W. Helyar, Esq., in 1812. L. Palk, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates here. Both manors were held by abbeys in Normandy, and were granted at the Reformation to John, Lord Russell. Canon-Teign was successively the seat of the Berry, Gibbs, Gibbon, and Davy families, and was garrisoned for Charles I. in the civil wars, but was taken by Fairfax in December, 1645, and placed under the command of Colonel Okey, who afterwards suffered as one of the regicides. The Church (St. James) is a small ancient fabric, with a tower and six bells, and was appropriated to Bec Abbey, in Normandy, and afterwards to Tavistock Abbey. ... New Canon Teign House is an occasional seat of Viscount Exmouth, and in its pleasure grounds is a beautiful waterfall. The mine in this parish, called Adams William, was opened about forty years ago, and was long worked for copper ore, manganese, &c. It is now sunk to the depth of 60 fathoms, and yields lead, from which a portion of silver is extracted, but it is not very prolific." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Christow parish is in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Dwelly, E. (ed.). Devon M. I. vol. 1., being all the monumental inscriptions in the parishes of Countisbury, Brendon, Martinhoe, etc. pp. v. 226. E. Dwelly: Fleet, (1918). 8o. BL 9918.aaa.1. [SoG Library]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Christow - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Parish Registers going back to 1555 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1844, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Section on Christow from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Locki
Transcript of entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Christow to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Christow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Brief History and photographs of Christow, provided by Laurence Barber.
Clark, Stafford. A history of the parish of Christow, Devon Stafford Clark ; partly written and researched by Michael J.L.Wickes. Christow: S.Clark (1989) 31p: ill,maps. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/CHR/0001/CLA]
Halle, Dr. Fraser. Letters Historical and Botanical: Relating chiefly to places in the Vale of the Teign. London: Houlston and Stoneman (1851). [Covers Chudleigh, Lustleigh, Canonteign and Bovey Tracey]
Powell, John Robert. Antiquarian notes on the parish of Christow. Manuscript (1887) 1 box. [Westcountry Studies Library - msxB/CHR 7/0001/POW]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX836850 (Lat/Lon: 50.653015, -3.647946), Christow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Teign Valley History group - Honorary Secretary: Graham Thompson