"DODDISCOMBLEIGH, a scattered village and parish, on bold acclivities near the sources of a rivulet, 6 miles S.. of Exeter, contains 378 souls, and 2391A. 3R. 3P. of land, including the hamlets of Lowleigh and Leigh-Cross. The manor was anciently held by the Doddiscombes, and was divided amongst their co-heiresses in the reign of Edward III. The parish now belongs to the Palk, Rodd, Buckingham, Pitman, Archer, and other families. The Town or Manor House, built in 1604, is the pleasant seat of E.G. Rodd, Esq. The Church (St. Michael,) is a fine old structure, with much stained glass in its windows, and an embattled tower, containing three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at $16. 6s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £312, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. James Buckingham, B.C.L., who has 112A. of glebe, and a handsome residence, which was much improved in 1845, and has a finely wooded lawn of nine acres. There was anciently a small chapel at Sheldon. A Clothing Club was established here in 1843, and a Lending Library in 1846. . . . Manganese was formerly got in this parish, but the mine was closed some years ago.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Exminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.