"DOWLAND parish, 4½ miles N.N.E. of Hatherleigh, comprises 244 souls, and 1668 acres of land, including Upcott. Sir S.H. Northcote, Bart., is lord of the manor, owner of most of the soil, impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £81, and now held by the Rev. J.R. Ruse, of Monk's Okehampton. The Church is a Gothic fabric with a tower and five bells. The poor have 50s. a year out of the great tithes, left by Hugh Stafford in 1671. An old building, called the Church House, is occupied by paupers.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in North Tawton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.