"WORLINGTON, (EAST) a small scattered village on the northern acclivity of the valley of the little Dart, six miles E. of Chulmleigh, has in its parish 287 souls, and 2363A. 1R. 26P, of land, rising boldly towards the north, where there are three farms called East, West and Middle Barrow, from the tumuli or mounds of earth under which ancient Britons are supposed to have been buried. The Hon. Newton Fellowes owns a great part of the parish and is lord of the manor; and the rest belongs to various freeholders. Denridge Barton was formerly a seat of the Radfords, who had a deer park here; and another old house, called Pidley, was formerly the seat of the St. Leger family. About a mile from the Barrows is a square stone, with a cross on each side of it, which has been the subject of much antiquarian conjecture. The Church (St. Mary,) is a small ancient structure, with a tower containing four bells, and crowned by a short spire. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 15s. 10d., and in 1831 at £238, is in the patronage of the Hon. Newton Fellowes, and incumbency of the Rev. Benj. Clay, M.A., who has a neat thatched residence, and 66½A. of glebe. . . .." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.