"Bedford Chapel, in the precinct called Bedford Circus, is a neat brick building, which was erected in 1831-'2, at the cost of £4400, of which £2000 was raised in £50 shares, and the remainder by voluntary contributions. The interior has three aisles, three galleries, and about 1000 sittings, of which 300 are free. The front has three entrances, and over the centre door is a portico, supported on Tuscan pillars. The bell hangs in a small turret. The perpetual curacy, valued at £136, is in the patronage of trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. W. Jackson, M.A." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A extra-parochial place in the East of the old walled City of Exeter. Its population in 1801 was 116.