"HEAVITREE PARISH, On the eastern side of Exeter, and partly within the parliamentary boundary of the city, contains 3469A. of land, and 3048 inhabitants. It comprises the Artillery Barracks, Regent Park, Baring Crescent, Polesloe, Richmond Grove, Mont le Grand, Bicton Place, and other eastern suburbs of the city, and the small villages of EAST and SOUTH WONFORD, and WHIPTON, at the distance of from one to two miles. The village of Heavitree, one mile E. of Exeter, has many neat houses, and is said to have derived its name from having been formerly the place of execution for the city. The manor of Wonford, which anciently gave name to this parish, and still gives name to the hundred, was part of the demesne of the crown in the reign of Edward the Confessor. . . . Sir Thomas Baring is now lord of this manor, but a great part of the parish belongs to other proprietors. Lord Poltimore is lord of the manor of Wippen or Whipton, which has been held for a long period by his family - the Bampfyldes. St. Loyes is the pleasant seat and property of Pitman Jones, Esq., and near it is the decayed chapel of St. Eliguis, or St. Loyes, which has long been used as a stable. South Wonford House belongs to Francis Spicer, Esq., and Ringwell Manor to Genl. Sir D. Ximenes. . . . The PARISH CHURCH, dedicated to St. Michael, was rebuilt in 1845-'6, at the cost of about £3000, raised by subscription, and a grant of £500 from the Church Building Society. It was consecrated Aug. 1st, 1846, and is a neat structure of mixed architecture, with a tower of four bells. . . . The Rev. A. Atherley, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a good residence, and six acres of glebe. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Heavitree is in the Deanery of Exeter, as a suburb parish of the City of Exeter, although technically it was not incorporated into the City until 1913.