"The [3508 inhabitants in the 1841 Census] return of St. David's parish included 110 persons in Devon County Gaol; 155 in Devon County House of Correction; 62 in Exeter City Prison; and 81 in the Cavalry Barracks. . . . St. David's Church occupies a beautiful situation on St. David's hill, in the northern suburbs of the city. The ancient church was pulled down in 1816, when the erection of the present fabric was commenced, but it was considerably enlarged in 1839. It is chiefly in the Roman style, with a Doric portico, and a round tower, containing six bells. It has a spacious burial ground; and its large parish includes the City and County Prisons, the Cavalry Barracks, Northernhay, the Railway Station, the manor of Duryards, and many neat houses. It is said to have been anciently a chapelry to Heavitree, and to have had a chapel near the river, dedicated to St. Clement. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, worth about £280 per annum.; but in 1850 it will be augmented with the great tithes, (£150 per ann.,) by gift of the Dean and Chapter. The latter are patrons, and the Rev. C.C. Bartholomew is the incumbent. Until recently, the Vicar of Heavitree was patron." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Situated to the North West of the old walled City of Exeter.
Peskett: "A chapelry of Heavitree . . . St Michael and All Angels is a modern chapel of ease (1868)".
Davidson, James Bridge. On Some Further Documents Relating to Crediton Minster. Trans. Devon Assoc. 14 (1882) pp.247-277. [Raymond: Includes transcripts of 14th c. deeds, and the will of Bartholomew of St Davids, Exeter.]