"HALWELL, a small village in a hilly district, 7 miles SE by E of Holsworthy, has in its parish 319 souls and 3426 acres of land including Stronds, Upcott, Stowford, Landhill, Foxhole, and other scattered farms. Sir Wm. Molesworth is lord of the manor, and owner of great part of the soil. The Church has a tower and five bells.The rectory valued in KB at £12. 3s. 9d.and in 1831 at £210 is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Ambrose Stapelton of East Budleigh. The glebe is 125 acres, and the Parsonage is a good residence, built in 1849, at the cost of £600" [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
The spelling "Halwill" is given by Peskett. A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, and the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter.