"IDEFORD, a small village, in a well-wooded valley, on the west side of Little Haldon hill, 2 miles S.E. of Chudleigh, has in its parish 331 souls, and 1471A. 3R. 16P. of land, including 633A. of wood, and 108A. on Haldon Common. Lord Clifford is lord of the manor but the soil is freehold, and belongs partly to the Templer, Whiteway, Burd, Endacott, Bowden, Hunter, and Watts families. The Church (St. Mary,) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and three bells. It is about to be thoroughly repaired, and its screen, roof, and pulpit are finely carved. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17. 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £270, is in the patronage of T.B. Owen, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. E.B. St. John, M.A., who has 63A. of glebe, and a handsome residence, repaired and partly rebuilt in 1845. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £270 per annum. The poor have 18s. a year out of land called Hayes, left by Humphrey Borrington, in 1589. The Church House, occupied by paupers, and five dwellings, with gardens, &c., let for only £8. 18s. per annum, (in consideration of fines paid when the leases were granted,) have long been vested in trust for the use of the poor, who have also the interest of £100, left by Dr. Jenkins, in 1821." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.