Extracts from an 1857 trades directory, for INSTOW
Transcribed by John BISHOP <100041.1516[at]compuserve[dot]com>
and made available with his kind permission.
Instow is a village and parish about 5 miles from Barnstaple and 3 from Bideford, containing 1916 acres of land, including water area. The population in 1851 was 626 souls. The number of voters in 1857 was 21.
Instow, corruptly so called (says Risdon) for Johnstow, of its dedecation to St. John, is situated at the confluence of the rivers Taw and Torridge, immediately opposite the town of Appledore, and is divided into two parts, the Vicarage and a few cottages near the Church; but the chief part is on the banks of the river, and known as the Quay. It is a pretty and agreeable watering-place, facing the Channel, and is much resorted to by visitors during the summer season. There is a station of the Bideford Extension Railway.
The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient edifice in the Perpendicular style of architecture,with square tower, containing three bells. The living is a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £12 17s 3d., in the incumbency of the Rev. Arthur F. Lloyd, M.A.. ; Mr. John Skinner Clerk The Wesleyans have a small Chapel at the upper side of the Quay. No regular minister.
The National School is situated between the Church and the Vicarage, and is supported by contributions and the payments of children. A new house, at the time our information was taken, was in the course of erection, as a residence for the mistress. Number of scholars, 50. Mrs. M.A. Nations, Mistress. There is a small mixed School, kept in a room under the Wesleyan Chapel. Number of children, 25. Miss Roberts, Mistress.
Alphabetical List of Clergy, Gentry, Etc.
Bradstock Rev. Rowland Thomas, Victoria Terrace
Grace Mr. Robert W.
Hancock James, Esq.
How Mrs., Rose Cottage
Kitson Mr. Henry
Lloyd Rev. Arthur F., M.A. Rector, Rectory
Mallet, Mr. John, Marionette Cottage
Mogridge Mr. Richard
Nemherd Mr. Thomas H.
Palmer Mrs., Strandfield
Puckford Captain James, R.N., Bar View House
Shoobridge Rev. Samuel, Worlington House
Stevens Captain, Royal Marines
Torr Mr. Henry, River View
White Lieutenant Robert, R.N.
Young William, Esq., Magistrate, Bath Terrace
Alphabetical List of Professions Trades, Etc.
Ackland Thomas, carpenter
Bale James, farmer, Day-a-Peep
Bale John, butcher and farmer, Woodville Cottage
Beer George, lodging-house keeper
Bellew John, Farmer, Orchard
Body John, beer retailer, Sailor's Inn
Carter John, farmer, Bigleton
Davis Fanny, lodging-house keeper
Dean William, tailor
Edmonds, Miss P., lodging-house keeper
Galliver Robert, boot and shoe maker
Goman Robert, farmer
Hancock John, farmer, Fullingcot
Harris John, Shopkeeper
Hookway Samuel, farmer, South Yeo
How Mrs., farmer
Joslin John and James, farmers, Huish
Lock George, farmer, Instow Barton
Lock Thomas, steward, Venn House
Martin Grace, lodging-house keeper
Mills William, lodging-house keeper
Moss Christopher, coal merchant
Nation William, butcher
Parkhouse Henry, boot and shoe maker
Parkhouse William, lodging-house keeper
Parramore Thomas, Marine family hotel and posting house
Pidler Alexander, draper and shopkeeper
Pidler Alexander, butcher
Pidler John, mason
Priscott William, blacksmith
Rose Thomas, Station Master
Row and Elfe Mesdames, boarding and day school
Saunders Frank, lodging-house keeper
Skinner Benj., The Hotel family and posting house
Sweet Eliza Ann, shopkeeper
Tanner Frances, lodging-house keeper
Vanstone Stephen, farmer, Davis and Fishley
Ward Miss E., boarding and day school
White Richard, Collector of Customs
Widdicombe John, lodging-house keeper
Winch Gertrude, shopkeeper
Winch William, builder, Victoria Terrace
Young William, bath proprietor
Brian Randell, 6 Sep 1995