"IPPLEPEN (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST), a parish, in the union of NEWTON-ABBOTT, hundred of HAYTOR, Teignbridge and S. divisions of DEVON, 3¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Newton-Abbott; containing, with the chapelry of Woodland, 1172 inhabitants. It comprises 2726 acres, of which 180 are common or waste. The church has a handsome screen, and an enriched wooden pulpit; it formerly belonged, with some adjoining lands, to the priory of St. Peter de Fulgeriis in Brlttany, and attached to it was a cell to that establishment. The Wesleyans have a place of worship." [From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.