"MANATON, or Manadon, is a small village, on an eminence, near the rocky hills and the sources of the West Teign, or Bovey river, on the eastern side of Dartmoor, 3½ miles S.W. of Moreton-Hampstead. Its parish contains 429 souls, and 6393 acres of land, including the hamlets of Freeland and Water, and more than 2000 acres of commons and wastes, amid some of the wildest scenery of Dartmoor Forest. Hountor, a stupendous group of rocks, appears like ruined turrets and broken pinnacles, and as seen from different points of view, assumes an endless variety of fantastic figures. . . . The Earl of Devon owns a great part of the parish, and has a rabbit warren of 600 acres here. The rest belongs to the French, Nosworthy, Barham, and Bryant families, and other freeholders; and on the south side of the parish are the Haytor Rock Granite works. . . . The Church (St. Winifred,) is a fine old structure, in the early perpendicular style, with an embattled tower and four bells. It was much injured by lightning on Dec. 13th, 1779. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £13. 12s. 8½d., is in the patronage of the Rev. Wm. Carwithen, D.D., and incumbency of the Rev. W.P. Wood, . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.