Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Mariansleigh, from White 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

MARIANSLEIGH

From

White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Debbie Kennett

"MARIANSLEIGH, or Mary Ansleigh, a small village on an eminence above the Mole valley, nearly 1 mile S.S.E. of South Molton, has in its parish 338 souls, and 1740 acres of land, including the hamlets of Alswear and Kemp Town, and many scattered houses. . . . Sir H.R.F. Davie, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to Mr. Wm. Toms, Mr. F.A. Cockram, and several smaller proprietors. Mr. Cockram owns Kemp Town, and is about to build several new dwellings there. The Church (St Mary,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. The Rev. Geo. James Gould, of Nympton St. George, is the incumbent, and the patronage is in the Charity Trustees of Exeter, as trustees of John Davye's Almshouses in that city, founded in the 42nd of Elizabeth. . . . In the village is an Independent Chapel, built in 1840. The National School was erected by the late Sir H.P. Davie, Bart. In 1641, John Davie, Esq., charged the manor with the payment of £6. 10s. yearly to the incumbent for preaching a sermon on Sunday afternoons and catechising the children. The poor have the interest of £20 given by Nicholas Sanger and Henry Adams, in 1707 and 1811. They have also an annuity of 10s. out of the tithes, given by an unknown donor. In the following Directory, those marked 1, are in Alswear; and 2, at Kemp Town."

1 Babbage Gilbert, butcher, &c.
1 Bird Edward, corn miller
Crewys George, parish clerk
Crewys Wm., assistant overseer
Eastmond John, butcher
Eastmond Elizabeth, schoolmistress
1 Eastmond James, wheelwright
Eastmond Humphry, shoemaker
Eastmond Susan, vict. King's Arms
Fewings James, sexton
1 Lockyer Jane, vict. Butcher's Arms
1 Tucker Saml., vict. White Hart
White Mrs Charlotte, Yeo

Blacksmiths

2 Adams John
2 Holmes Wm.
1 Moore George
1 Vickery John

Carpenters

2 Adams Wm.
1 Eastmond John

Farmers

(* are Owners.)
Adams Wm.
Ayre Thomas
Babbage Wm.
Bennett George, Moorhouse
Carter Jas., Lower Uppercott
Chapple James
*Cockram Fras. Jno., Tidlake
Davey John
Eastmond John
Harris Robert
1*Kemp John
Lewis John
Matthews Wm.
Mills Wm.
Pitt Edw. Furze
*Toms Wm., Yeo
Trebble George
1 Tucker John
Tucker Wm.

Masons

Crewys George
Crewys Wm.

Tailors

Hill Robert
1 Lockyer Wm.
1 Tucker Samuel
Webber John