"MARIANSLEIGH, or Mary Ansleigh, a small village on an eminence above the Mole valley, nearly 1 mile S.S.E. of South Molton, has in its parish 338 souls, and 1740 acres of land, including the hamlets of Alswear and Kemp Town, and many scattered houses. . . . Sir H.R.F. Davie, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to Mr. Wm. Toms, Mr. F.A. Cockram, and several smaller proprietors. Mr. Cockram owns Kemp Town, and is about to build several new dwellings there. The Church (St Mary,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. The Rev. Geo. James Gould, of Nympton St. George, is the incumbent, and the patronage is in the Charity Trustees of Exeter, as trustees of John Davye's Almshouses in that city, founded in the 42nd of Elizabeth. . . . In the village is an Independent Chapel, built in 1840. The National School was erected by the late Sir H.P. Davie, Bart. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Marley. A parish in Witheridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple and Diocese of Exeter.