"NORTH LEW, 4 miles S.S.W. of Hatherleigh, is a large and pleasant village, on a lofty eminence, commanding delightful views, and having two ancient crosses, one in the centre, the other at the cross roads. Its parish contains 1051 inhabitants, and 5306 acres of land, including 2000 acres of common, 200 acres of wood, and the hamlet of Whitston. Mr. Vowler is lord of the manor of North Lew, but that of Harper's Mill belongs to Mr. W. Honeychurch; and a great part of the parish belongs to J.M. Woollcombe, Esq., Mrs. Morris, and many smaller owners. Redcliffe belongs to Mr. Woollcombe, and has a fine freestone quarry and the remains of an ancient chapel. The Church (St. Thomas a Becket,) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and five bells, and is in a delapidated state, but it is hoped that funds will shortly be raised for its reparation. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £27. 8s. 9d., and in 1831 at £342, is in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. England, M.A., who has 39A. of glebe, and a neat residence, built in 1849. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter.