"OAKFORD, or Okeford, a village on a bold acclivity, between the Exe and one of its tributary streams, 3 miles W. by S. of Bampton, and 8 miles N.N.W. of Tiverton, has in its parish 641 souls, and 5251 acres of land, rising in lofty hills on the north and west. The manor was anciently held by the Montacutes, and afterwards by the Pollards. Thomas Daniel, Esq., now owns three-fourths of it, and the rest belongs to the Rev. J. Spurway; but J. Browne, Esq., and a few smaller freeholders, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Peter,) was rebuilt about 12 years ago, and has a tower and eight bells. The organ was given by the late Mrs. Parkin, and a school has been built at her expense. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £24, and in 1831 at £384, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. James Parkin, M.A., who has a good residence and 90A. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.