"PINHOE, a pleasant village and parish, 2½ miles N.E. of Exeter, contains 568 souls, and about 1930 acres of land, generally fertile, and rising in bold undulations. On Beacon Hill, a commanding eminence near the village, are several neat houses. In 1001, King Ethelred's army was defeated here, with great slaughter, by the Danes, who burnt Pinhoe, Broad-Clist, and other neighbouring villages. The manor was part of the royal demense, and is described in Domesday Book as containing thc vills or farms of Monkerton, Pinpound, Langaton, Herrington, and Wotton. It was successively held by the Vallibus, Multon, Strech, Cheney, Walgrave, Elwill, and other families. Lord Paltimore is now lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Sir Frederick H.H. Bathhurst, Lee Hanning Lee, Esq., the Rev. W.H. Arundell, and a few smaller owners, mostly freeholders. The Church (St. Michael,) is an antique stone fabric, with an embattled tower, and four bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.