A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
POUGHILL, a parish in the western division of the hundred of BUDLEIGH, county of DEVON, 6½ miles (N. by E.) from Crediton, containing 321 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £8. 17. 8½., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here was formerly a chantry chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Gertrude Pyncombe, in 1730, bequeathed £5 a year, and, in 1725, Robert Gay gave £1 a year, for teaching poor children.